- 1 Tbsp grape seed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 shallot, ﬁnely diced
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (13.7 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
- Heat a medium Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium-high heat; add oil. Saute the garlic, ginger and shallot until aromatic, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the spices and salt, and saute another minute, stirring. Lower heat to medium, add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze pot with ½ cup of the chicken broth, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining chicken broth, chicken and coconut milk; bring to a simmer. Cover pot and simmer until chicken is thoroughly cooked and sweet potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add lime juice and desired salt. Stir in half the cilantro. Spoon into bowls, garnish with remaining cilantro and
serve. Makes 8 cups.