Makes 1 pint:
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp non-iodized salt (sea, kosher, etc)
- 3-4 pickling cucumbers
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 flower/sprig of fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seed (optional)
- 1 pint jar
- Slice cucumbers (spears or chips).
- Tightly pack cucumbers, garlic, dill, and mustard into jar - the tighter the better.
- Prepare solution by combining water, vinegar, and salt. Stir until dissolved.
- Pour solution over cucumbers in jar, making sure contents are completely covered.
- Put on lid and store in refrigerator for 2-3 days before eating.
- Keep pickles in the fridge for 4-6 weeks, or until you've eaten them all.
- Solution can be scaled up for bigger batches.
- Solution can be re-used 2-3 times, just stuff more cucumbers in the jar after the pickles are gone. Top up with fresh solution to cover contents.